Find out the latest news through our blog posts, news articles and press releases.
Mile Markers of Success
After three decades in business, a glance in the rear view mirror reveals Landstar has passed many significant “mile markers” along the company’s steady course as an industry leader on the road to success.
- Landstar was formed in 1988.
- Landstar has held a Safety Thursday Conference Call every month since 1991 – that’s 27 years!
- Landstar became a publically traded company – listed on NASDAQ in 1993.
- Landstar created the term business capacity owner (BCO) to describe the company’s independent truck owner-operators.
- Landstar began presenting the Roadstar® honor to BCOs in 1990. Since then, 469 men and women have earned Roadstar status.
- Landstar’s Star of Quality Award program, which honors those who go above and beyond, started in 1993. More than 8,000 stars have been awarded to Landstar agents and BCOs.
- Since the Landstar Scholarship Fund was created in 1995, 334 students have received a share of $802,000 in funds from Landstar.
- Landstar has given away 38 semi-trucks to business capacity owners since 1994.
- In 1997, Landstar moved its headquarters to Jacksonville, Florida.
- In 1998, Landstar began requiring all owner-operators to become hazmat certified.
- Landstar’s award-winning The Road to Success® magazine was first published in 1999.
- The “swoosh” around the star in Landstar’s logo represents the road to success.
- Landstar introduced the first cellphone accessible load board in the industry in 2000.
- The first celebration honoring Million Mile Safe Drivers was a banquet held in 2001.
- There are currently 1,060 active Million Mile Safe Drivers at Landstar – that includes two, three and four million mile safe drivers.
- In 2003, Landstar celebrated the first independent Landstar agent to exceed $100 million in revenue.
- The first Landstar BCO to achieve 4 million safe miles was Jerry Travis. He reached this milestone in 2004.
- The BCO Benevolence Fund was founded by Landstar in 2005 to distribute financial assistance to qualified BCOs.
- Since its creation, the Landstar BCO Benevolence Fund has provided financial assistance to 388 BCOs.
- Landstar Canada was formed in 2007.
- More than 55 percent of Landstar’s employees have been with the company for 10+ years.
- Landstar has many longtime employees. In fact, the record of 51 years (and counting) is held by Nancy Brown.
- Through the military’s Training with the Industry program, each year a captain with the U.S. Army spends 12 months shadowing Landstar’s government services team to learn about commercial logistics.
- Landstar created and launched the Landstar Maximizer® mobile app in 2017 to help BCOs find multileg runs.
- In 2017, Pricing Tools and Agent Analytics were created and designed to help independent agents grow their Landstar agencies.
- 542 independent Landstar agents reached $1+ million in revenue in 2017.*
- Landstar opened its state-of-the-art cross-border logistics center in Laredo, Texas, in 2017.
- Landstar hauled more than 1,903,000 loads in 2017.*
- 2018 - More than 10,000 trucks are provided by BCOs.*
- Landstar is a $3.6 billion company – and growing!*
*Information provided is based on Landstar's 2017 Form 10K.